Monday, April 12, 2010

Duff McDuffie

Duff was my best friend in High School.  I had moved from MI to NC right as my Freshman year had ended.  I was devestated at the change.  But then I was put in a Geometry class with this kid named Duff.  Duff was a spoiled only child and mama's boy...and he adored me.  The feeling was mutual.  I felt so safe around him, there were no underlying motives of why he wanted to be around me, he was simply my dearest friend.  I have this one memory of running across a railroad trussle on someone's private land and feeling so completely free and childlike.  Safe, really safe.  I can't find Duff on facebook or google...my mom used to run into him every now and then but hasn't seen him in years.  Anyway, he's been on my mind a lot lately because my son who's almost 14 has a best friend who's a girl.  And I'm proud of him and how he is such a good friend to her.  He's safe for her much like Duff was for me.  I think it's important for girls to have that from a guy friend.  Looking back, I see how he kept me out of a lot of trouble and I'm thankful!  I married Freddy 2 weeks after HS graduation.  And I just didn't keep in touch with Duff like I should have.  I guess I just got too busy.  I wonder about him though.  I wonder if he's as happy as I am, if he's found someone to share his life with who adores his friendship like I did his and Freddy's...  Here's a pic of Isaiah and his best friend, Payton. 

No comments:

Post a Comment